Thursday, April 8, 2010

The Thermostat's Connected to the... Doorbell?


Okay, so I'm not an expert on old-house wiring, but this seems wrong.

There's an old thermostat on the second floor that "controls" an old wood-burning stove in the upstairs dining room. (Yeah, yeah, I know...) This one's unrelated to the spanking new thermostat downstairs that controls our new furnace. It's basically a relic and we'll probably remove it and store it in the "old stuff" box in the garage.


But first, curiosity got the better of me and I traced the wires coming out of the old thermostat. They went down the wall, along the baseboard, and directly to... the doorbell?

Seriously? I even removed both units from the wall just to make sure they weren't hiding some other (more sensible) wires underneath. Nope. The thermostat really is wired directly to the doorbell.

And the doorbell works. That's the weird part.

More on this later, if/when I figure out what's really happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment