Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Architect of Destruction

Boy, this is fun!

How often do you get to swing a sledgehammer in your own house? There's almost nothing in this kitchen that we're saving (I already removed the hand-painted doors and the stained-glass cabinet), so it really doesn't matter what I hit or how hard. Wheeee!

My first victim was the ugly wet bar. Here's its hole. I never did like that thing, although we are saving its brass handles, as well as all the other drawer pulls. We'll reuse them on the new kitchen cabinets.

Looks like there was green/white checked linoleum on the floor. That's before it was re-tiled in green ceramic. I've popped off a few of the ceramic tiles already, and I'm not looking forward to doing the rest of the floor. Those suckers are on there.

The row of hanging center cabinets went next. Oddly, they're constructed mostly of Sheetrock, with a layer of painted wood on the outside. The base cabinets are mostly wallboard, too. This seems like a weird (and heavy) way to make cabinets. Whatever.

Demolishing the center bar was fun. I ate away at the cabinets supporting it, and let gravity ease the tile downward. I finally took a swing with the sledgehammer and removed the last support. Wham! I live for this stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment