Thursday, June 14, 2012

The Paint Goes On


The top-floor bathroom tile is done, and I've resumed covering the rest of the walls. We're close enough to being finished that Kathy has started to paint. The plan is to paint the walls yellow and the "ceiling" (anything that's not vertical) in white. I've put a new transom window over the door, which should let in some sunlight from the nearby skylight / seagull perch, while also venting the room a little better.

Speaking of vents, I've also added a ceiling fan to the far wall, over the window. Local code requires a fan in every bathroom, and we felt like being good citizens and including one here even though it never had one before. What with all the new insulation, the room will trap moisture more than before, so we really want to make sure the room is well-ventilated.

Cutting a vent hole in the outside of the house, just under the roof peak on the third floor, was a bit tricky. There's nowhere to stand on the roof (even if I wanted to... and I don't), so I had to do it all by leaning out the window. I removed the triangular window from its frame, sat on the sill, and leaned out with my tools. Coincidentally, some new guests had just checked in to the Gosby House Inn next door, and they were trying their best to pretend not to watch. Just to mess with them, I'd "accidentally" juggle a screwdriver or say "whoops!" and listen to the conversation below come to a brief stop.

I'm pretty happy with the way the vent came out. It's almost invisible from the outside of the house. Later today I'll box in the duct so that it's not quite so ugly from the inside.

We've also put in the first of the new light fixtures, a pair of wall sconces that will shine over the vanity (if we can ever find a way to haul that thing upstairs). As an added bonus, I can now work in the bathroom at night!


No comments:

Post a Comment